Monday, January 26, 2009

Decade

On January 25, 1999, Ben and I were 18. We were freshman at St Louis University. Ben was pre-med and I had was trying to decide between about 10 different majors. We were young, really young, and we were falling in love. Ben took a chance with me, and we've been together ever since.

Now, 10 years later... We're married, living in the Netherlands, have a baby, and are about a million miles from where we started. We're still lucky enough to be happy and in love, and fortunate enough to have this anniversary fall on our regular date night Woooo! We had big plans!

Okay, so our plans weren't so big. But for a couple of tired new parents, they were pretty special. We had our babysitter show up a few hours earlier than normal, kissed Wes on the forehead and giddily ran out the door and went to the movies!

We had some time to kill before the movie, so we played around a little...

My shoes match my water and my candy container!

Ben humors me...



We saw Revolutionary Road, which we enjoyed very much, but Ben thought it was maybe a little depressing for a romantic date night movie. Afterwards, we tried out a nice restaurant in Maastricht, Restaurant Mes Amis and ate lots of delicious food and had a nice bottle of wine. I had a carpaccio of salmon with a mustard dill dressing and then duck breast with a shallot sauce and Ben had a duck mousse wrapped in duck breast with a balsamic syrup as a starter and truffle stuffed chicken with a port wine sauce. And for dessert? We shared a small piece of mocha cake with white chocolate ice cream and chocolate mousse. Oh my gosh. So good.

Like I said, we're about a million miles from where we started - from Saint Louis, from eating macaroni and cheese in our dorm rooms, from the carefree life of a couple of college students.
1999

2009

But we're still us and we're still happy. So I guess we're pretty lucky.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You mean 1999, right? :) I can't believe it's been that long!!! I love all you date night pics. J
PS What the hell is duck mousse?

Ellen & Ben said...

Duh, yeah. I keep doing that. I seem to be resistant to the idea of 2009.

What's duck mousse? Delicious, that's what. I mean, for those of us who are cool with eating creamy, whipped animal organs.

Kevin said...

I remember the first time I met you, and I immediately knew you were the one for Ben. Don't ask me how I knew, but I just knew. =) It's not often that two people like you find each other. Here is to another 10 years =)

Kevin said...

Oh and I remember that old school picture....I have it somewhere I think. Was that really 10 years?? Sheesh...

MommieDearest said...

Congratulations on 10 years together.
Yes- I think it is OK to share some duck mousse every ten years or so- just don't get too crazy.Enjoy your date nights.

Love,
Mom