Monday, November 3, 2008

7 quirky things

I was tagged by Corinne to blog 7 quirky things about me? Only 7? I have so many quirks I had to go to Ben and ask him what they are because everything seems perfectly reasonable to me. These are just a few that he came up with:

1. Ben really like Cheez-Its and we will often have a box of them around the house. I don't mind them; I think they're okay, but I never go searching them out. However, when he brings the box out to snack, I want some. Not quirky yet, I know. The quirky part is that I need him to give my exactly 3 Cheez-Its. Not a small handful, not 2 plus a broken one, 3. And then if I want more, I need 3 more. I don't remember the last time I didn't eat them like that.

2. I have a gum habit. And it's serious. I can go through packs of gum like you wouldn't believe, because once I start chewing I go for a few minutes and then need a new piece beccause I don't like when they lose flavor. I like fresh, new pieces of gum. Oh, and I always eat them 2 pieces at a time. Because 1 at a time just isn't right.

3. Every night, Ben and I brush our teeth together. It evolved out of just getting ready for bed at the same time, but now it's a special thing between us that we do even on the very rare occasion when we don't go to bed at the same time. We get our brushes ready, click them together (I think of is like clinking wine glasses, Ben has referred to it as crossing swords. Take your pick.), and sit on the edge of the bathtub and brush our teeth. It's very comforting.

4. I have a thing for bowls. They're just pleasing to me. I have restrain myself when shopping because I always want to buy more. Ben's parents gave me a set of 10 mixing bowls for my birthday, and I cannot tell you how much joy I get from bringing out my bowls while cooking or baking and having all my ingredients out on the counter in their happy little glass bowls. I also like cereal bowls, ice cream bowls, and tiny little bowls that serve very little purpose.

5. If you know me at all, you know I love food, especially sweets. Mmm, like ice cream. I love ice cream. But if I ate it as much as I wanted to I would make myself very very very sick (and I'd be about 800 lbs), so instead I really enjoy just looking at it. When Ben and I go out and walk around in Aachen, we always see people eating ice cream and I've made a habit of walking by all the different ice cream place to just look at people's sundaes and say "Ooooooh, look at that one! Ben, look at the guy in the blue striped shirt! He has a banana split!". It's like going to an art museum, but with ice cream!

6. For Easter I gave Ben a little stuffed bunny, just for fun. Since then, the bunny has been hiding around our house. Ben started by hiding him in the fruit bowl one day, and since then the bunny has been found in my bathrobe, Ben's socks, my vitamins, Ben's cereal box, the detergent compartment of our washing machine, and Wes' diaper pail (poor bunny), just to name a few.

7. I love goats. They make me giggle. A lot. Can't explain. Just love them. That's all.

Those are just a few of mine. And now I tag Miranda and Duck. Share your quirkyness!

5 comments:

MommieDearest said...

Thanks for sharing.
This quirkiness question could go into that game that you have with the stack of questions for everyone to answer - but you would have to limit it to 1 or 2 quirkinesses per person.
I want to start making up my own questions for that game - such as " what three things in the universe would you get rid of ( if you were God) ?
Love,
Mom

Ellen & Ben said...

So what are your quirky-ass things, Mom? I would have tagged you, since my general quirkiness (the nice way of putting it) is hereditary, but since you don't blog, I couldn't.

I like your question too. And I think I'd start with snakes. My universe would be a happier place.

Marc Burgett said...

I never knew! Reading your list of quirks made me so proud! I'd like to think I helped form the quirky person you are.

Love, Dad

MommieDearest said...

Quirks . . .
1) I love maps. I can't go anyplace new without a map. Maps have secrets to share with you.
2)Right now! I do everything ASAP.
Ask me to do something for you - done ( and I move on). I use the "touch it once" system for mail. Read it and toss it or take action. If someone says "Let's go.", I put on my shoes and my coat and am outside the door. I have no idea what people do who come out a half hour later.
3) I love garage sales - "it only costs a dollar". I usually will not pay full retail price, so my clothes, etc. come from resale and discount stores.
4)I like to plan - my classes, my trips, my day, etc. No detail is too small. This does not work out in real life.
5) I eat oatmeal most mornings for breakfast. If I travel, I bring along my own oatmeal - just in case.

Ellen & Ben said...

Oh my god, I really am your spawn. I could have written every one of those, except the map one. And my cereal isn't oatmeal, it's Kashi cereal or granola, but I do take it with me when I travel. I even take my own bowl and spoon, just in case.